SC-17AA*

$0.50

Montgomery Plantation, South Santee

1880

Montgomery Plantation (located near present-day McClellanville, SC) was on the South Santee River and was primarily in the rice business. In 1868, following the Civil War, original owners Alexander and brother Edward Mazyck moved to Canada because they refused to live under the United States Government. James C. Doar, who signed this scrip, assumed ownership around 1870. This scrip was used to pay workers on the plantation from the mid-1870s well into the 1880s, reflecting the transition from “room and board” slave labor to paid labor after the war.

Doar is the surname of an aristocratic family in the southern United States. Prior the Civil War they were among the largest landowners in the South. The family’s fortune in the U.S. originated mainly from plantations scattered all over S.C. Among them were: Doar Plantation, Doar Point Plantation, Palo Alto, Harrietta (where the Doar Family Cemetery is), Woodville, Walnut Grove, MONTGOMERY, Oak Grove, Buck Hall, Egremont, Elmwood, Woodside, Hopsewee (birthplace of Thomas Lynch, Jr., who signed the Declaration of Independence), Wedge and Windsor. The Doars were also among the founding members of the Church of England in the southeastern U.S. and were instrumental in opening the first public schools in the south, mainly Charleston County.