RI-40.

$10 Proof

Phenix Bank of Providence

1830s-40s

PMG 64 Choice Uncirculated, Proof
This bank was a reincarnation of the Farmers and Mechanics Bank of Pawtucket that had failed in 1829. It was reorganized and moved to Providence where it opened under this name in 1833. It remained in business until 1865 when it became the Phenix National Bank of Providence. With the rarely seen imprint of Terry, Pelton & Co. Prov., this striking design features a very busy harbor and town scene and a vignette of Hope with an anchor. The large round denominational die is particularly eye catching. This example served as the plate note for both Haxby and Durand. Very rare with not many to go around.
Formerly from the Michael S. Tallent Collection