CA-04*

$1000

Business College Bank, Napa

1880s (See reverse)

Reverse:
Commercial Department of Napa Collegiate Institute.
Excellent Facilities for a Business Education,
THEORY AND PRACTICE COMBINED,
Thorough Classical and Scientific Courses,
For particulars address
Principal Napa Collegiate Institute.
Napa, Cal.

Originally a three-story building on a five acre campus, the Napa Collegiate Institute was established in 1860. By 1870 it had become part of the Methodist Episcopal Church and served as a “feeder school” for the University of California. Strict social regulations were enforced, especially regarding dating. By 1885 the school name was changed to Napa College and more rigorous educational programs were introduced. Eight courses were offered, and several volunteer fire fighting units were formed. A more successful school in nearby San Jose eventually forced the 1896 closing of Napa College.